Search This Blog

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Public Food Preparation with Hands

I just couldn't get why some people are too particular with cleanliness. I understand that for people with AIDS or some immune deficiency sickness, that will be of upmost importance, but the for common folk, I wonder why some are so obsessed with it. While searching for Hong Kong street foods just to get an idea on the atmosphere, what's available and what's good, I came across Youtube videos showing the preparation of food around the world.

Naturally interested, I watched these videos as well, but as I read the comments, some people seems to have some issues with the cook having used their bare hands in the preparation process. This is more apparent in the preparation of local street food. Let me show you two examples:-

Video1 
Japan - Preparation of Goza Sorah cakes

Video 2
India - Preparation of Pani Puri

Video3
China - Dan Bing (Egg Crepes)

I would really like to have a chance to try these tasty morsels even if the vendor wasn't using any gloves. But some people, would rather die than to eat these food, stating the reason is that they were not wearing gloves and that the hands has germs. These germs might make them sick...(Aww...you poor thing, go to your posh restaurants and pay 50 dollars for a measly biscuit and more of the local culture for the rest of us to enjoy...)

I wonder really, do these people actually wear gloves when they prepare food at home? Or when they eat with their hands, they use gloves as well? Even if gloves are used, the gloves might not be so sanitary as it seems. A little germ in the body won't hurt and maybe beneficial at times, to help the body to familiarize with these pathogens and thus strengthening the immune system.

If the body is too clean, minor disease would be a disaster don't you think?
Excuse me, but I can't wait to get my hands on local street food...
That's one of the greatest pleasures of travel, being able to live like a local, albeit temporarily...

No comments: