Search This Blog

Monday, October 26, 2009

Indie Folk Songs - 26th Oct

After the introduction by my pal to the "indie folk" genre, I currently have an acquired taste for indie folk songs! Indie folk, as Wikipedia would define it ( HERE ):-  indie rock with heavy influences of 50s, 60s and early 70s folk music. While, in my definition, indie folk is more like some rock, with catchy tunes, and a small dash of mysticism into it where its more like those fantasy theme music. The band I started with was "Fleet Foxes", they have marvelous voices and harmonics. Among the recommended highlights includes:- White Winter Hynmal, Mykonos and Tiger Mountain Peasant Song.

Now that I've been introduced to it and think that its actually a great genre, I began searching online for more indie folk bands and Wikipedia already has two stated besides Fleet Foxes: Bon Iver and Beirut. After listening both, I decided to ditch Bon Iver as it sounds too 'lovey-dovey', soft, mellow and the catchiness of it is lacking. Instead, Beirut makes wonder from its songs. I've posted here one of my favorite songs from the band:-



The other band that I've also heard from somewhere, would be: Dead Man's Bones. Songs by this band is rather melancholy, but the mysticism is still there with some catchy tunes. Although this, the songs by this band are more dark-themed compared to the others and a major part of it is the somber death, but not all of it either. Here's one of my favorite songs by this band:-



Enjoy the songs!

No comments: