Search This Blog

Monday, September 28, 2009

"jwgkwsq.vmx" virus wipe-out - 28th Sept

Recently I had to format my computer as it was infected by viruses so badly that even going online seems to be a problem. This virus ( jwgkwsq.vmx ) I would consider to be a dangerous threat as it is a trojan and liable to steal any of your personal information. The thing is that, during the first format, I did not bother anymore as it was a clean format which is total cleaning of the hard disk, but later, after sometime, the virus was spread again by my own pendrive! I did not even click or access it but the virus was run by the autorun.inf file in the pendrive which spawned the virus into my hard drive which caused me further agony of having to reformat again. I decided that I don't have to do this and therefore, I decided to search for the elusive solution to this virus.

As taken from Techie Bubble.Com

=======================================

The jwgkvsq.vmx is a worm-type virus, which spreads via USB/portable drives and through the network. It also makes autorun.inf file on your USB device as well as a hidden system folder called RECYCLER which contains the jwgkvsq.vmx file. I’m not sure if this is an old virus, but it seems it’s been spreading a lot lately. And most anti-virus doesn’t detect this, but for those who does, it can’t remove it.
It is also known as:
  • W32/Confi
  • W32/Conficker.worm!inf
  • Win32/Conficker.B – CA
It exploits Microsoft Windows vulnerability:
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS08-067 – Critical
Vulnerability in Server Service Could Allow Remote Code Execution (958644)
Published: October 23, 2008

Symptoms:
  • ‘Show hidden files and folders’ doesn’t work. You can check this by going to a folder, then click Tools, then Folder Options, then View tab. Select the ‘Show hidden files and folders’ then click Apply, then Ok. Open Folder Options again, if it reverted back to ‘Do not show hidden files and folders’ then you have this virus.
  • Evey time you plug in a USB device on your computer, it creates an autorun.inf file, and a RECYCLER folder with the jwgkvsq.vmx virus file.
  • You can’t access anti-virus websites an other popular websites like microsoft.com or yahoo.com
  • Windows won’t boot into Safe Mode. This happens on extreme cases. When you try to boot into Safe Mode, your computer restarts/shuts down
Side-effects
  • Since this is a worm, system slowdown may (or may not) happen.
  • Quickly spreads through networked computers and USB devices. Which includes flash drives, portable external hard drives, mobile phones, mp3 players, and anything that can be plugged into a USB port.
  • Won’t let you access some websites.
========================================

So, if you think you have the above symptoms, it is possible that you may have got this virus or maybe another virus and not this, but what's the harm in trying right? Anyways, to remove this virus, you would just need to download a little program from BitDefender and run it. The process is automatic but would just requitre some restarting of the computer at the end of the process.

The removal tool can be found HERE. Run it and Voila! all your problems solved!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently discussing about how modern society has evolved to become so integrated with technology. Reading this post makes me think back to that discussion we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Ethical concerns aside... I just hope that as technology further innovates, the possibility of downloading our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's one of the things I really wish I could experience in my lifetime.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://www.leetboss.com/video-games/r4i-r4-sdhc-nintendo-ds]R4i[/url] DS Qezv2)